This KB was created to allow an administrator to try and get the RE-IP process to work on Ubuntu 16.04.
Currently, the RE-IP process is not supported on Ubuntu 16.04, only versions 14.10, 15.04 are officially supported.
The RE-IP process might fail when doing a DR operation on VMs running Ubuntu 16.04.
This workaround was tested in a lab and requires a few steps to be completed before the RE-IP process will start. Please log into the VM and run the following steps:
Step 1: Disable cloud-init
- touch /etc/cloud/cloud-init.disabled
- rm /etc/network/interfaces.d/50-cloud-init.cfg
Step 2: Disable udev persistent net rules
- ln -sf /dev/null /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
- ln -sf /dev/null /etc/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules
To learn more about why this is required, please review this Microsoft article.
- Edit the bootloader configuration by running vi or nano /etc/default/grub.
- Locate the following line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0" -> only add it, and keep anything that's already there.
- sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
- Edit with vi or nano /etc/network/interfaces
- Change the interface name from “ens**” to “ethXX” (eg. "iface eth0 inet static")
- /etc/initd/networking reload -> this will load the new settings.
Step 3: Install Python2.7
- apt-get update
- apt-get install python-minimal